Chelsworth is a small village of about 70 houses sitting on the north bank of the river Brett in one of the most beautiful, and almost entirely untouched, parts of Suffolk. The village is very old. Documents in the British Museum record King Edgar giving the village to Queen Aethelflaed in 962, and perhaps its greatest blessing is that, architecturally at least, time seems to have passed it by. Indeed photographs from the 1860s show the many thatched and wattle and daub houses, its lovely bridge, and its well-known pub looking almost exactly as they do today. The photographs right show the village as it was in 1865 and as it is now. The map is Suffolk circa 1910.