Chelsworth All Saints
An Ancient Treasure
The village Charter granted in AD 926 by King Edgar, mentions a church in Chelsworth, and a Domesday Church is first recorded here in 1086. The church in Chelsworth has been dedicated to All Saint’s from the 12th Century at least.
Sitting well back from the road, the church must be approached through the driveway of The Grange. In almost every nook and cranny you can find something of special interest: something with a quirk about it.
Built in flint with stone dressings, it is now faced in cement, and the west tower is castellated, with diagonal buttresses. The tower had 4 bells in 1552 but in 1746 the three smallest were sold. The remaining bell was recast in 1763 and rehung in 1767.
The hidden south side is grander than the north, with a beautiful south porch now used as a vestry
Internally, the light and airy nave has 3 bays with piers of 4 attached shafts and moulded arches. The font is from the 14th century and above the chancel arch there is a restored doom wall painting.
The chief monument in the church is the recessed canopy tomb to Sir John de Philibert, Lord of the Manor until 1351 (died 1359).