EXTRACT FROM “THE SUFFOLK TRAVELLER” BY MR JOHN KIRBY
“ … who took an actual Survey of the whole county In the Years 1732, 1733 and 1734”.
Second edition published MDCCLXIV (1764)
Chapter “The Hundred of Cosford”, page 270
CHELSWORTH. In this Parish the River Brett or Breton, before-mentioned, receives the Water of two other Rivulets, and becomes more considerable. On a rising ground near the Church are the Remains of the Foundation of a Stone-Building, which appear to have been very large, and to have been encompassed by the River; and near them is a Field called, The Park; and other fields, called Park-Fields; and a small wood, called, the Park-Wood. From which Circumstances it is supposed to have been the Habitation of some Person of great Figure and Consequence; probably, of the Founders of the Church, which formerly belonged to the Duke of Norfolk’s Family. Sir John Howard, Knt. by Will dated in 1385, gave a Legacy of Twenty shillings, towards the Repair of his Church of Chelsworth. AEthelfled the Daughter of Alfgar had Chelsworth of the Gift of King Edgar, and according to her Father’s Request gave it to the Abbey of Bury; yet John de Philibert had free Warren in his Demesne Lands here 10 Edw. II and died feifed of a Manor in Chelsworth 7 Edw. III. Richard Plaiz had a Manor here, 27 Edw. III or 1352: And John de Vere had a Manor here in 1472, in Rite of his Wife, whose Grandmother, Wife of Sir John Howard before-mention’d, was Daughter and Heiress of Sir John de Plaiz. His son dying without Issue, it descended to John Vere his Nephew, Son of Sir George Vere, Knt. This John married Ann Daughter of Thomas Duke of Norfolk, and was the fourteenth and last Earl of Oxford, of that Name and Family. He died without issue in 1526, and all his Estates went to his three Sisters: Dorothy, married to John Neville, Lord of Latimer; Elizabeth, married to Sir Anthony Wingfield, of Letheringham; and Ursula, married to Sir Edward Knightly. This Manor afterwards became the Property of the Family of Jenny; of whom it was purchased in the year 1737, by Robert Pocklington, Esq; who has built a handsome Mansion, and now resides there.
Note: the expression “10 Edw. II” denotes the 10th year of the reign of Edward II
Click to Enlarge