'Eastern Approaches' 1865. (right)
With Chestnut Cottage on the left and the Maltings, Old Forge and Old Manor seen on the right receding in the distance. Not a hint of traffic, but shows a more peaceful, slower pace of life.
Outside the Old Manor.
Previously known as Bonds, from a family that owned it in the 16th Century. It passed to the Clovers in 1586 and to Robert Pocklington in 1755. The title Manor House dates from the early 19th Century at least. The house was later owned by Lieut-General Stracey Smith, Governor of New Brunswick (brother of the Rector John Gee Smyth). His daughter married Rev Henry Sharpe Pocklington and left it to her two sons Colonels George and Frederic.