Built by Robert Pocklington (right), between 1750 and 1760 on the site of Mynne's Mansion. Occupied by his family for nearly 150 years. His heirs, as one condition of their succession , were required to live there at least five months in the year, as well as to take the name Pocklington. On this site and across the river stood other fine houses, but he had them, as wel as two mills, demolished to accommodate his ambition to live in Chelsworth as a country gentleman. The 'House by the Pound', 'Swallows', the village centre Mill were among the properties demolished. It is possible that the church meadow Alms houses were lost at this time.
This pair of cottages, known as 'Mouses' - probably a corruption of Mowse's from a former owner, stood across the road from the Rectory and the Peacock Inn. It is mentioned many times in the Court Rolls. Pictured here in 1870, it is visible in at least two other photographs. It was still present for the Ordnance Survey map of 1885 but certainly lost by Edwardian times.
Chelsworth has lost many houses since records began and others have had their names changed. Some have been lost since the age of photography began, others appear only in the Manor Court Rolls. There is much greater detail on this subject in Bernard Quinlan's 'A Social History of Chelsworth'